Sunday, June 6, 2010

21.05.800

So I've decided to enter a yoga/creative writing challenge. 21 days in total, practicing yoga 5 times a week as well as practicing a writing exercise of 800 words a day, any medium you like. I find writing my thoughts and telling stories very therapeutic. I had a journal in hospital but it didn't catch on for long once I came home. So seeing as journaling doesn't seem to have the flow it once did, and I seem to be tied to the computer these days......bring on the challenge!
Obviously, given my physical status I can't practice vigorously as I once did but a regular gentle restorative practice would limber me up, work out some stress and encourage light meditation from which inspiration to write will hopefully flow.
E and I attended a tantric workshop last week. Really interesting lady who was a sexual pioneer during the initial AIDS crisis in NYC in the early 80s. She was exploring her sexual self when her friends began dying of AIDS around her. She and a friend began attending and hosting workshops on safer sex. Their purpose was to educate the masses, particularly the gay community, on how to have sex safely without sacrificing pleasure. Any one who advocates safe sex to lessen the effects of a pandemic is a hero in my book. We learned how to breathe fully and deeply - how to maximize our intake in order to make expiration a fulfilling sensation. We purchased her urban tantric book and her tantra book. Both are very well written with very artful pictures and interesting anecdotes, both historical and personal, and are such compelling and thoughtful books it is hard to put them down.
I had tantra on the brain when news of this 21.5.800 challenge floated my way. My life is becoming monotonous and I am hoping this challenge will clean out the cobwebs in my mind, body and spirit, and allow creativity and health to flourish. My goal - a more supple body and mind without compromising what mental and physical energy I have currently to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment