Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ho HUM

Past midnight, Thursday night after a loooong day. My mum comes in to stay with us during the week to help me with appointments, life issues etc etc. She stays for a couple of nights, we spa together. She helped me with the move. I love my mum. I'm very lucky to have such a supportive mum. When I was confused in ICU the first image of clarity was my mum, reading to me. I WAS so confused and paranoid but my mum spoke to me normally, told me not to worry, and continued reading from my favoured book from adolescence.
House slowly coming together. Still some things at the old apartment but we seemed to be fully in now. Awesome! We have a lot to still put away during the upcoming long weekend. But slowly it is becoming a home :)
Wednesday was the anniversary of the accident. Weird day. sad yet a joyous occasion. Given that at this point last year I was hooked up to a ventilator, covered in tubes, after enduring multiple invasive surgeries and tests that I am walking and able to think somewhat clearly. At the time that I would have been lying on the road, waiting for EMS to arrive I got a bit weepy. But for the most part I was fine. Life really does just go on.
Diamond Cutters this week was interesting. The manuscript on the dissection table was a memoir in a poem. Really well written, quite visual. Interesting themes, lively discussion, great points on style from Bindu. I have such a girl crush on her. She is so smart and imaginative, writes well, very encouraging. She is launching a new adventure tomorrow called the Shed Project. A few months ago, she had an epiphany to downsize most of her belongings - no more than 100 - and embark on a sojourn to Australia to drive along the coast of Western Australia. She got an incredible response and very encouraging, wistful feedback regarding her downsizing and thus the shed project was born. For a small fee you can join Bindu, and other shedders, and downsize belongings. She has a ton of speakers and readings lined up to encourage us on. Pretty brilliant. Given the move and the horror of all our belongings making themselves known I figured the timing couldn't be better, and I will thus join this little shedventure to see if I can bring about more change.
I had meetings with my OT, PT, OTA and PTA this week to set some goals and plan the next few months in terms of my recovery. Given the pending anniversary of the accident, my Tuesday session will my SW was quite emotional as I was still grieving and felt lost and directionless regarding my rehab. There will be a team meeting at the end of September and the thought of waiting till then to discuss what next seemed very daunting. Clare sent a text to the team, with my stating my worries and what we had discussed in the session.
Last winter was spent adjusting to my life post accident and recuperating from the havoc wrecked on my body and mind during my hospitalization. Spring and summer were spent waiting for and recovering from the hardware removal surgery. Now that I have returned to "normal" the phase of my recovery can move forth: the recuperate phase.
Holly my OT and I set some short and long term goals concerning cognitive work, community accessing and drive training. PT followed suite: we hammered out the rehab schedule for fall and winter - Pilates x 2/wk for three months, with a practitioner recommended to me by my sister. Weekly strengthening with Heather and a swim session, checking in with Liz once a month. After the three weeks had passed, my care would be turned over to a personal trainer, who would work under Liz to design an appropriate program for me to follow indefinitely, with weekly swimming and some yoga.
My reiki practitioner, who is also a yoga instructor, is running a one week yoga retreat at a lodge on the pacific coast of Mexico. It looks like heaven! Morning yoga, followed by free time to partake in nothing, hiking, swimming, surfing, snorkling, body work, etc, then afternoon meditation and finishing with evening yoga. The meals are all provided, save one dinner which the group will out for in the nearby village. I really want to go as I think it would fall during the right time for me rehab wise. I'd be a few months into my personal training sessions at the gym so a week long break of yoga and swimming would be fantastic, not to mention the week of hot weather in the middle of the most wintery month of the year.
I was hoping we could maybe combine it with another trip we had planned, to Tulum on the Caribbean side of Mexico. I have a few friends who spend the winter there and I try to see them once a year. I met them while backpacking through India and we traveled to an island off the coast of Burma. I lived with them in Manchester U.K. for a while and we've stayed in touch ever since. I took Erick to see them when they were living in a tent on the beach, and a few years later they were married on the same beach and hosted a rather international wedding at a beautiful eco-lodge in Tulum. So magical, both the setting and the awesome people that N and D are. If I had a soul sista N would be the closest to it so combining a week of beach healing yoga with beach crazy N and Erick and myself would be absolute heaven. However, Erick doesn't think he can do both. Poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment