Sunday, August 8, 2010

Birthday ramblings

It was my birthday a few days ago. On a Friday. I remember when birthdays equaled The Best Day of the Year! Lying in bed, too excited to sleep, visions of brightly coloured boxes and mountains of paper tickling our head.
The weekend was great, the perfect grown up birthday. My BFF took me to a film premiere - Scott Pilgrim vs the World. The film was based, and therefore shot, in Toronto so they had a big hoopla down town at the turn of the century Wintergarden Theatre. If fairies had a theater this would be it - gilded, polished, painted murals on the wall depicting happy dancing revelers, and fake leaves and flowers hanging from the ceiling in the most ethereal colours. Beautiful. The theater is in a double theater, they are stacked one on top of the other. It has a one hundred year old lift with attendant who happily explained the theater's history to us. It is the oldest one in North America with a working lift, and one of the last of it's kind, as most stacked theaters are demolished or toned down to just one theater. It was in it's heyday in the 20s and 30s so evidence of art deco was everywhere, particularly in the elevator. So beautiful.
The film was awesome - fast, fun and colourful. Great zinger lines, fantastic fight scenes and tons of Toronto centric references. Bertie worked in the art department and created much of the graphics and artwork for the film so she nudged me whenever one of her projects was shown. The film felt like a love letter to the city, which is really nice, considering the rest of Canada hates Toronto, and makes fun of it, any chance they can get. We went to the after-party at a local watering hole, which was full of people and actors from the film.
All in all, an awesome pre-birthday treat. It was my first film in a theater since the accident, and I was very pleased that my discomfort wasn't too bad. Goes to show how far I have come, in the hospital whenever I would be transferred by hoist into the wheelchair, 2 hours was the maximum I could go siting, and this was on a good day. Since the hardware has come out, I have been able to sit more comfortably, although I do have to get up still, to rearrange and take the pressure off my saccrum.
Here's hoping the rest of my b'day weekend is as good! It's nice to have fun again!

No comments:

Post a Comment