Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 8

Prompt: Beautifully different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.

I never know what to say when asked this sort of question. The concept that what makes you different is ultimately what makes you beautiful never sits well with me. It's like saying that to be beautiful you have to get your freak on. Beauty is so subjective - only you can ultimately ascertain what is beautiful to you. A mother looking with pride and awe at her child isn't different but it can be seen as beautiful, as she is revealing her true passions and what she holds dear. Man on the street might find a woman who looks like Barbie, boobs and all, the ultimate in beauty. Dude next to him thinks loving kindness is the fountain of beauty. Totally individual. I think a better question is "what makes you feel beautiful?" Or "how do you define beauty?"
Myself, I feel beautiful in water, out with my husband, whenever I wear green or blue.

I think humans can teach each other what beauty means to them. It might make this world a more caring place.

No comments:

Post a Comment