Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 7

Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

Because of the accident, I have been mostly home bound. I started surfing the web for fun and eventually started browsing Etsy and other online shops. This led to style blogs, knitting blogs, entrepreneurial blogs, lifestyle blogs... In short the online community opened itself to me and suddenly home didn't seem so confining. I eventually stumbled upon Bindu Wiles, a Buddhist writer living in NYC and working out of Sarah Lawrence writing school (www.binduwiles.com). Bindu is an interesting person - her blog always provides food for thought. She likes the idea of forming communities online and has run courses online throughout the year.
I did the 21/5/800 - you practice yoga 5 times a week and write 800 words a day for 3 weeks. While the Yoga proved too much, the writing was a delight to do. I had reached a point in my recovery where I wanted a creative outlet, and this challenge proved perfect timing. This is how this blog was born. I initially wanted it to be a resource for other trauma survivors, but so far it has been a resource for me.
Bindu also ran another challenge, the shed project, where we went through our homes and minds and shed/got rid of anything we didn't need or want anymore. Bindu created a group on Flicker and people could post pictures, and she would leave instructions on what to tackle next. She also had guest posts by people who had done this sort of venture in their life - from clearing house to whittling their possessions to 100 items, or a suitcase.
Bindu also ran a writing course which I partook in, and it was there that I started work on a manuscript about the accident and everything since. I am also in the second session, which is running currently.
The online community is interesting - there is something for everybody. I've certainly enjoyed shopping online, and I've made some neat friends and found an outlet for myself for which to express myself. I am also going to PORTLAND,OR in June for the WORLD DOMINATION summit (http://worlddominationsummit.com) , where unconventional people living unconventional lives will meet for 3 days and discuss their lives, the universe and everything in it. The Art of Living Unconventionally is a book by Chris Guillebreau, a purveyor and example of doing just that (www.aonc.com). He writes for a living, has a mission to visit every country in the world within 5 years and is able to do so because of his art of living unconventionally and via the website/blog and the life style aid products he sells there. The trip was an impulsive decision which I think is going to be so much fun. We are hoping to do the summit first and then take our time winding up the NW coast through Seattle to Vancouver, where we can hopefully spend some time with two of our favourite botz's. I miss my banyani. More later.
I also came across Danielle LaPorte who is a entrepreneurial coach (www.whitehottruth.com). She created The Fire Starter Sessions (FSS), which is a guide to discovering what you really want to do in life and how to make career out of said passion. The FSS is said to be mind blowing. She is razor sharp in her vision, focus and writing, and writes blog posts that provide so much to think about and a very interesting take. She is very women oriented and is a very motivational speaker. I purchased the FSS as an investment into mine and Erick's future. I have yet to finish it but already my thought gears are turning.
And then there are the many artist's/creative types who work and small businesses have really impressed me. The handmade movement is so infectious - so much more personal, meaningful and buying handmade puts the money in the pockets of the creator as opposed to the middle man. Much more sustainable, transparent, feel-good. Investing directly into the dreams and creations of others allows for more meaningful experiences, can link one with some lovely people and could ultimately change your life if you let it.

In 2011, I would like to become involved in a sewing community, particularly sewing vintage patterns. I'd also like to be more active on knitting communities, and diving groups online. More writing e-course and workshops would be great.
I would also like to become involved in trauma support groups. I'd like to start a trauma blog for survivors, and see if there are groups locally. St Michael's hospital had very little in terms of support and I would like to see if such a resource could become available. They have a head injury clinic, why not a service for inpatients/outpatients dealing with the outcome of living/recovering from such. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment