Friday, December 17, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 17

Prompt: Lesson learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

I learned many things about myself this past year. Some good, some bad. Most valuable. If anything, the best was how adaptable I am. Having come off the worst four months of my life, with the next 12 months poised to be just as trying, I was pleased to discover that I developed an ability to adapt to whatever was before me. Be it falling down the stairs, keeping my cool when in a trying situation, or preparing to possibly have to take the stand to testify in the criminal case of the guy who caused the accident, I was able to keep it together long enough to get the job done. When my hairdresser cut my hair just a little too short from my comfort zone, I swallowed my tears, embraced the new, shorn me, and remembered that hair ultimately grows. Nothing lasts forever. Words to live by. Be it pain, distress, joy or a good bottle of Sauvignion from New Zealand, nothing is permanent. Change will always win. Being able to adapt is key to surviving this life.
The same is true for the most enjoyable moments. The week in Tofino for our friends wedding flew by and E and I knew it would. We tried to enjoy every moment while we could. The beach, the lodge, the cinnamon rolls. All spectacular. The big tree trail. Stunning. We also realized pretty quick we wouldn't do everything we wanted. Instead, we loved what we did do, and put the rest on the list for next time.
Going forward into 2011, I hope to keep this attitude of adaptability as needed. I've been to edge of my abilities. I can walk, I am alive. I have enough control of my brain to live independently and fulfill most of my dreams. I have a fantastic partner, of whom I owe so much. I have an incredible dog and a gorgeous cat. I have a supportive family. And a career in what ever form it decides to take. All I need to do is adapt which ever way I can and all will work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment