Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 15

Prompt: 5 minutes. Imagine you will completely lose your memory of 2010 in five minutes. Set an alarm for five minutes and capture the things you most want to remember about 2010.

Rescuing my dog: In April E was starting a new job which required him to be gone for long stretches of time. I was feeling quite stuck and meaningless, unsure of what to do with me days and so sick of me and my recovery. I'd wanted a dog for sometime. I knew of an organization that rescued unwanted dogs from the Northern reserves. When I went in on the website I discovered a new litter of puppies had arrived at the shelter and after discussing it with E, we applied for one. My Reiki practitioner had rescued a dog from said organization and wrote a letter of endorsement for us. Our lack of backyard was a strike against us but my including our intent to purchase a house in the summer softened said strike. Before we knew it, arrangements were made to bring the litter to our house for the in home interview. A truck pulled up outside the house. A large man knocked on the door, grabbed Erick and went back outside. Two minutes later a bewildered Erick arrived, carrying 3 puppies, followed by the owner and three more. In total 6 puppies arrived and ran all around the study. Two were tired and immediately fell asleep on either side of my sister, like book ends. This left us with a hyper female who was the runt of the litter, a soft, big eyed friendly male and a daydreaming, energetic male. This daydreamer was of different colouring to his siblings: brown red and white a white face with a black mask. It didn't take long to pick him. He became my world - it was nice to finally be looking after someone else. I quickly fell in love with him and here he sits beside me as I type this. He was a rescue dog was Higgins, but in actual fact I think he rescued me.
Other memories to keep are purchasing our house this summer, our trip out west, meeting Lucy, our cat, all over again when I came home. And finding ourselves together again, when all the dust had settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment