Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 30

Prompt: Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What's the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year?

I received some lovely gifts throughout the year. I prefer to give gifts rather than receive - I rarely like the attention that receiving a gift can bring. I prefer siting back and watching someone open a gift - the excitement, the pleasure, the chuftness of it. I enjoy planning and shopping for gifts for others. I like getting an idea for one and hunt for signs or clues as to whether or not the intended recipient will like it or not.
I emember viewing a socia anthropology film in Society class in high school, that broached the topic of giving. They examined a pacific tribe in which the act of giving is a community pass time. A large handmade pot sits mounted on a pedestal. Always adorned with fresh flowers etc. The pot never stays long in one place. It is constantly in motion, a symbol of the pride and community spirit of this tribe. The pot exits to be given. This tribe holds the act of giving much more esteemed than receiving. Once received, the receiver gets the pot for a period of time during which they become the giver and ponder who in the village they will give the pot to. Much thought is valued and weighed as giving the pot to someone begins a new partnership.
I wish I could remember the film's name so I could see it again.
I love love love spoiling E. There is nothing more wonderful then seeing the look of surprise and then glee he gets whenever I buy him something. E is more of a do-er - he likes to do things for people, makes him feel useful.
I took a friend shopping recently and also reserved at first, she really got into it. So much fun.
I have no clue why I love giving, but I have been doing so much of my adult life. I don't intend to stop. It brings me so much joy, so much fulfillment

1 comment:

  1. Keep your head in game and don't lose hope. Be kind to yourself. Enjoy the little moments. Love your friends. Be thankful for what you didn't lose and what you have. Change is a given. Rewrite your stars.

    ReplyDelete