Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reverb#10 - Day 20

Prompt: Beyond avoidance. What should you have done this year but didn't because you were too scared, worried, unsure, busy or otherwise deterred from doing? (Bonus: Will you do it?)

Is it me or are some of these prompts repetitive? I'm not feeling this one.

However.....

2010 was in part about me discovering the on-line world. Namely the creative side. Etsy. The mecca of meccas for crafters, creators, artists. A springboard for a new business. I discovered so many amazing businesses and people via Etsy. Definately helped me rebuild myself so I owe them all serious props.
I really wanted to try owning an Etsy store. For vintage clothing and maybe adding something else, something that I made. I am so inspired by the creativity of others. What people are capable of creating with their own hands as opposed to a machine stamping out the same thing repeatively. Little differences here and there. Driven by passion, by expression. A friend of a friend started a knit wear store, inspired by her life on the west coast. This inspired me to knit again. And so I did, and during the winter olympics I sat in my Lazy boy and worked on a sweater, after being inprired by this person I didn't know and a colleague from work who believed in my abilities to knit. I am half an afternoon from being done. One more seam to graft, fix up any small tasks and then block. And then wear with pride.
My Etsy store was a venture with my sister. We were going to sell all our vintage and vintage-esque clothes. This task would keep me occupied with a modest income. The more time I spent online, the more I was exposed to the online entrepreneurial community. I found business courses and guides and bought some as an investment in my Etsy store dream or any venture I or E decided to do.
But I chickened out. Too frightened to risk exposure to failure my Etsy stores sits empty, a skeleton business plan drawn out but covered in dust. Maybe next year, when I am not so afraid.
I think I also caved due in part to my recovery status. 2010 was a hard year - much fatigue, pain and a busy rehab schedule. I figured I wouldn't have the energy to see to the day consuming tasks of owning an Etsy store. It is a full time job for many, a side project for others. I can only imagine how much time and energy it would take from me. Not one accustomed to fear dissuading me rom a chosen path, I kept glancing over my shoulder at my oasis of a dream. Of expression and creativity.
If this post seems disjointed, it is because it is. I am tired, you see. I've been up, looking and searching on Etsy. For inspiration. For my dream. For 2011?

1 comment:

  1. don't be afraid. i had a site sit for a year or so, not that i didn't have things made i always make things, but i didn't have time and was afraid to join in and fail. take all the time you need plan it right and when your ready you will find success

    ReplyDelete